The difference between mitigation and restoration
When massive quantities of water enter your Chicago home, there are two primary objectives that restoration services aim to achieve. Mitigation of losses and restoration of the property. Mitigating losses means preventing further harm to the property through water exposure, absorption, trespass, and theft. Restoration is the recovery of contents and structure to return your home to its preloss condition. Flooding events can be extremely volatile and very stressful for any homeowner. SERVPRO can organize these two objectives on your behalf to ensure a smooth, transitionary experience from flood loss to preloss.
What residential floods have category three contamination?
- Raw sewage or backups from the waste-line beyond the trap that is category three regardless of appearance
- Overflow floodwaters from rising seawater, rivers, and streams which enter the property
- Contamination in water intrusion that comes from wind-driven rain, including cyclones and hurricanes
How are category three water emergencies brought under control?
An initial inspection during the flooding cleanup of your Chicago home is when a qualified technician determines the extent of water contamination. Our crew chiefs can communicate directly with you about potential hazards and avoid all contact with these potentially toxic waters. SERVPRO can often arrange, under extreme conditions, for an indoor environmental professional (IEP) to assess your home for any lasting dangers that could occur from category three contamination. Generally, water must be extracted, while many building materials or assembly must be removed and replaced with clean materials. Affected structural areas that remain can often benefit from thorough disinfection and decontamination.
What factors affect restoration or replacement?
- Material porosity which can affect how quickly absorption of contamination occurs. Once absorbed, most materials need demolition and replacement.
- Water absorption through the building assembly which is often dictated by the time of exposure to contamination
- The expense of replacing materials versus restoration possibility. Some hardwoods, metals, or plastics can recover from even category three contamination.
Category three water emergencies can pose a severe threat to your health and home.
So give us a call! We are faster to any disaster and are here to help get you back to "Like it never even happened."